Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Engagement Rings?

Our discussion in class about engagement rings made me really start to think.  I must admit, I have always wanted to have a beautiful engagement ring to show off.  Then, I realized it was just that; I wanted to show it off.  It made me start to think deeper into what an engagement ring really means in our society.  You do not need a ring to prove to others that you have a partner that you are planning on being with the rest of your life.  So, especially with the economy the way it is today, why do so many people still spend crazy amounts of money on them?  And if it is the case that they are for some reason a necessity to marriage, it brings up the issue of “mangagement rings”.  Why don’t men wear rings like the women do?  It seems that the expectation is for women to have a huge rock on their hand to show off that they are taken, and that their significant other has money to spend. 

I never really put much thought into how outrageous some rings are, and how big of a deal having the perfect ring is to most women.  I did some research, and the average amount spent on an engagement ring is between $3500 and $4000.  That is a big chunk of money, and it definitely isn’t something that most people can afford.  I think this has a lot to do with why the marriage age has kept getting higher and higher, and engagements are longer.  People don’t have enough money to be able to afford the engagement ring and the wedding, so they need more time to save up and prepare financially for them.  The more I think about the idea of an engagement ring, the more I seem to be against wanting one.  I have always been big on saving money and the realization of how expensive and basically useless the rings are makes me rethink it.  Also, I feel that it is ridiculous that this tradition is continuing basically just because society says it is the norm.  Engagement rings are just another useless stressor that society puts on people.

No comments:

Post a Comment