Monday, March 21, 2011

Princess Party

Over break, I went home to Stevens Point to work.  My job is at a fitness club, working in the daycare area.  Yesterday, one of the little girls turned 3 years old.  When she came in today, I asked her how her birthday was and what presents she got.  She began listing off details of her “princess” party; princess plates, cups, napkins, a princess cake, and even Disney princess piñata.  Then she went on to list off her favorite presents, which included a play makeup station, a new Barbie doll, and princess dress up clothes.  I couldn’t help but laugh, because as soon as she finished telling me all about her cliché princess party she quickly ran over to play with the train set, completely bypassing the “girly” toys. 

When the little girls’ mom came to pick her up at the end of the day, I couldn’t help but question her about the party.  I asked why did Gwyn (the little girl) pick a princess party for her birthday?  Her mom seemed confused and responded, “Well she likes princesses”.  I pointed out that there were many other things that Gwyn liked, many of which were considered gender neutral or “boyish”, so why hadn’t she chose one of those as a theme?  Especially since there were little boys invited to the party as well.  She seemed to be offended that I would question her, and said “It’s not like I would throw a batman party for my 3 year old daughter!” and I simply responded, “Why not?” 

I could tell that she was becoming angry, so I dropped the subject and let her be on her way.  However, I couldn’t help but continue thinking about how quickly the mother became defensive and shocked that I would question something so typical as a little girls princess party.  I thought it was very funny, and almost felt bad that I had done this to the poor mother.  It was obvious that the little girl had not asked for a princess party, and probably could have cared less what “theme” her birthday was as long as there was cake and presents.  I felt her mother was just going along with what society considers “normal” and right for a girl her age.  This may be true but to me, this just further pointed how much work is yet to be done in the move towards gender equality and getting rid completely of the “man box” and “lady box”.

No comments:

Post a Comment